Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why I Do What I Do

A sketch of the theater I went to see CATS in, the Arhst Center. 
The boy and I:

On this blog I attempt to post everything that is relevant to my artistic career, whether or not I am entirely pleased with it. I want to post what I wrote for CalArts, although I do not believe it is good, or nearly as passionate as it ought to be. I think maybe I should have changed some stuff, but over all it's clear and answers the question provided, so eh. Here's to a milestone, and to the absolute completion of my application. That being said, here's my statement:

At the age of fourteen, having just completed junior high and still on summer break, I discovered animation through a short film produced by a freshman at California Institute of the Arts named Margaret ‘Razi’ Mathison, titled ‘The Fox and the Mirrior’.
I was immediately hooked. ‘This is so cool!’ I said to myself, ‘This is what I want to do!’ I had never seen animation how I saw it that day—in its raw form, no clean up artists fiddling with it, no discordant soundtrack, dumb dialogue or lame puns. Here were these lines doing things I’d never seen lines do before…It was beautiful.
However, it was not until I attended California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA/Innerspark) that I began to encounter animation as a wonderful medium for exploration and experimentation. I do not believe that there is any other art form so versatile and expansive in the breadth of what it permits an artist to manipulate—time and space itself are in the animator’s hands, or at least the illusion thereof. As I continue to watch and explore animation with this versatility in mind, I find that I don’t want to see—or create—animation that is merely a copy of what I observe, or of what has been previously done. I strive to one day produce a fascinating interpretation of reality marked by my own personal aesthetic vision.
It is for this that I wish to attend CalArts. The Character Animation department shares my passion for inventive storytelling and acting through animation, but also supports the endeavors of an animator to explore different methods of executing the two. And while I primarily wish to focus on hand-drawn animation and acting using nothing but pencils, I want to experiment with methods for expressing myself through animation (whether through manipulation of style, color or narrative). This department seems like the perfect place to do so.
The studio-like environment the Character Animation department seems to emulate also intrigues me. I believe I would be capable of thriving in this environment for I have been actively and consistently participating in the week-to-week functioning of a small, non-profit studio, Artworks Associations II, for nearly three years. In addition, I wish to one day work in a studio environment, and out of all of the schools I have researched I feel that CalArts is the one best able to prepare me for such a thing.
Many of my goals surround my interest in how scientific theories can be represented artistically, and this is one of the many things I want to do using animation. I find it beautiful how the interactions between subatomic particles somewhat mirror the dynamism of human relationships. To me, each type of particle possesses its own ‘personality’; one needs only to look at the unique properties attributed to each (charge, mass, etc.), to see it. For years now I have been writing stories based upon these personal observations, and I hope to one day create a series of short films centered on the beauty of the subatomic world.
I can identify no other school whose students produce the quality of inspirational work that I have seen come from CalArts. I wish to be influenced artistically by my peers in a manner which will hopefully have drastic effects on my work, and I hope for my own skills and interests to make a dynamic addition to the CalArts environment.

1 comments:

  1. Well written-
    Even if you see room to improve. . .
    I think a good artist,
    in any genre- be it visual, written, whatever-
    should see the places in their own creations that could be better, stronger, more powerful-
    because that is how we improve (hopefully!)
    But usually, the viewer, or reader,
    or whomever. . .
    Is much easier to please!
    You do very good work.
    I love the expressive quality of your gesture drawings- wish I could capture that immediacy in my own sketching. . .

    ReplyDelete